Sunday, November 22, 2020

Gratitude for Political Trials

(From a post to FB:)

I have been spreading my #givethanks tags in dark corners of the web.

So I'll post a few here, too.

It's a great world God gave us, where we don't have to all do the same things, where everyone is allowed to make mistakes, even rather drastic mistakes, and we all do.

It's a wonderful world where we don't all have to be grateful for the same things.

I can be grateful it's Donald Trump and not me going the extra mile to point out how vulnerable our election process has become to foreign influence. I sure don't have the money to do it, and it needs to be done. 

I can likewise be grateful it's Joe Biden who is going to have to face the ambiguities of having won the popular vote in an election seriously marred by bad polling practices. And I can be grateful we have a few months to make it clear to as many people as possible why I have to feel this way.

And I am grateful.

And I'm very glad that enough of my fellow Americans are willing to put up with the ambiguities and continue solving their own problems while it gets worked out -- that there will be enough people who keep on keepin' on that the world won't come grinding to a halt and the country won't be torn apart.

(And, while there is a bit of irony in this post, I am not being sarcastic. I am just acknowledging ironies. We can and should be grateful that the world doesn't match our ideals.)

2 comments:

  1. Well, at least you don't have facebook to contend with here! All good reasons for being #grateful and for #give(ing)thanks (the grammarian in me had to 'fix' that to fit the sentence.).
    I am grateful for all those, now that you mention it!

    ReplyDelete